Women's basketball eliminated from ACC Tournament

Boston College tops Cavaliers, 66-57, to advance to second round

The Virginia women’s basketball team knew that it had to recapture last Sunday’s stellar play if they were to make a run in the ACC tournament. Thursday night, a strong second half was not enough to make up for a disappointing first half as the No. 6 seed Cavaliers lost to No. 11 seed Boston College 66-57 in Greensboro, N.C.

Boston College (11-18, 5-13 ACC) dominated the first half, outplaying the Cavaliers (16-13, 8-10 ACC) on both sides of the ball. The Eagles shot almost 50 percent from the floor and went 4-of-10 from 3-point range to take a 32-22 lead into the break.

After a career high 19 points in Sunday’s win against Florida State, freshman guard Faith Randolph was strong again, scoring 12 points in the first period to provide the backbone of the Virginia offense. Junior guard Ataira Franklin, who had been spectacular lately, was limited by foul trouble and was not able to get a field goal in the half, scoring just two points. Leading 24-20 with 3:59 remaining in the half, Boston College used an 8-2 run to head into the break leading by ten.

In the second half, the Virginia offense woke up behind Franklin, who found her shot five minutes in. Scoring six straight points, she helped Virginia to cut the deficit to 37-34 with 14:31 to play. After a layup by senior center Simone Egwu, a three from Franklin gave Virginia a 42-40 lead with 10:37 remaining.

The teams traded leads until Boston College took a 46-45 edge on a two pointer from senior guard Kerri Shields with 7:18 on the clock. From then on, the Eagles were able to stay on top with effective shooting and timely rebounds. Virginia cut the lead to 59-56 with 1:27 to play, but they were never unable to break through for the lead as Boston College hung on for the nine-point victory.

Franklin scored 15 of her game-high 17 points in the second half, but her outburst was not enough to get past the Eagles, who had four players reach double-digit scoring. Shields had 16 points and went 4-for-8 from long range for Boston College, who now advance to play No. 3 seed North Carolina Friday.

Virginia will now wait to learn its postseason fate.