Women's Lacrosse wins two, snaps skid

No. 9 Cavaliers top William and Mary, Princeton at home to halt four-game losing streak

The No. 9 Virginia women’s lacrosse team have played three games in the last week, first falling at No. 3 North Carolina before earning wins against William & Mary and Princeton at home. The victories ended the Cavaliers’ four game losing streak and brought their record up to .500 at the season’s midpoint.

The No. 3 Tar Heels (7-1, 1-0 ACC) edged Virginia (4-4, 0-2 ACC), 8-7, Saturday, March 9. Two key Cavalier defenders — senior Lelan Bailey and sophomore Kelsey Gahan — returned from injury, but Virginia fell by a single goal for the third time in four games. The contest was close throughout, with North Carolina establishing short-lived leads in the first half and Virginia doing the same in the second. Tar Heel senior midfielder Kara Cannizzaro scored the game-winning goal with 6:49 on the clock, her fourth tally of the game.

The Cavaliers bounced back for their first win at Klöckner Stadium this year in an 18-5 drubbing of William & Mary (2-5, 0-1 CAA) Wednesday, March 13. The game was tied at two after 11 minutes, but Virginia defused the suspense with seven unanswered goals. For the game, Virginia won 17 draw controls to William & Mary’s eight and outshot the Tribe 37-18. Sophomore midfielder Courtney Swan scored four goals and won five draws and sophomore attacker Casey Bocklet netted five goals. In total, 28 different Cavaliers received playing time.

Virginia ran its winning streak to two games with a 9-7 victory against Princeton (3-2, 1-0 Ivy League) Saturday. The Cavaliers led 6-2 at halftime and scored the first goal of the second half, but Princeton cut the deficit to 9-7 with 2:04 left in the game. Virginia senior goalkeeper Kim Kolarik made two saves in the final minute to seal the win. She turned back 10 Tiger shots overall and scooped seven ground balls.

For the week, Bocklet led Virginia with 10 goals, redshirt sophomore attacker Dana Boyle added seven, Swan won 14 draw controls and Kolarik yielded 18 goals against 16 saves. Virginia will return to action Wednesday against James Madison in Harrisonburg.