A Night of Restoration

Take Back the Night culminates with evening amphitheater vigil

Humility, forgiveness and catharsis created a somber experience in the amphitheater Thursday night, as survivors and supporters gathered in a vigil to cap off this year’s Take Back the Night campaign, a weeklong effort to eliminate sexual violence in the University community.

The vigil is intended to create a safe space for survivors, said third-year College student Staige Davis, who co-chaired the committee which organized the march to the vigil from the rally in Lambeth Field.

“Every survivor has a different reason for telling their story, but many feel that it an important step in their healing process,” Davis said. “For some, it is their very first time sharing their story publicly.”

Vigil chair Emily Renda, a third-year College student, has participated in the event each year she has been at the University, but said every year provides a unique experience.

“First year it was the understanding that I was not alone, [and] second year it was cathartic and empowering to have the chance to participate in healing by sharing, and a hopefulness that others would feel less alone,” she said in an email. “I like to think this year, for me at least, is about not only sharing together, but sharing collectively that our stories are real, that they matter, that they will not be revised by a culture that wants to blame victims for their assault or question their experience.”

Many survivors were willing, even keen to share their stories at the event.

Fourth-year College student Kelly Organski discussed how beneficial it was when she first spoke at the vigil in 2011 about being assaulted at a fraternity.

“When I spoke at the vigil, I finally, truly began to heal,” she said. “Take Back the Night was an integral part of my healing process, and without it, I don’t think that I would be where I am today.”

Organski now regularly gives presentations about sexual assault and bystander intervention.

“It is so critical that the community is made aware of sexual violence and its prevalence not only at our University, but also across the world,” she said. “Without awareness, change will never be able to occur. I really love the slogan for [Take Back the Night] this year — End the violence. End the silence. … It starts a conversation about this very serious and present issue.”