Franklin, women's basketball outlast Liberty, 61-60

Senior guard sinks game-winning free throw with 11 seconds left

Tuesday night in Lynchburg, Va., the Virginia women’s basketball team won a 61-60 nail-biter against Liberty after senior guard Ataira Franklin sunk the go-ahead free throw with 11 seconds on the clock. The Cavaliers (3-1) held off the Flames (0-3) despite flubbing all of a 58-49 lead in the last five minutes of regulation.

Liberty rallied following Virginia freshman forward Sydney Umeri’s free throw with 5:10 to play, tying the game when Flames redshirt sophomore forward-center Catherine Kearney made the second of two free throws with 38 seconds to go. Franklin answered after Flames sophomore guard Sadalia Ellis fouled her coming out of a 30-second Virginia timeout.

Virginia earned its third consecutive win following a season-opening 63-46 defeat against James Madison. Against Liberty, the Cavaliers shot an inefficient 31.8 percent from the floor while losing the rebounding battle by a minus-17 margin, but escaped with their first road victory of the year.

Franklin and Umeri paced Virginia with 12 points apiece. Umeri, who has started all four of Virginia’s games in her first collegiate season, finished a methodical four-of-six from the field and four-of-four from the line. Junior forward Sarah Imovbioh dominated on the glass once again, nabbing 13 rebounds in 28 minutes of play. Imovbioh’s seven offensive boards upped her ACC-best average to 6.5 offensive rebounds per game.

With the win, Virginia coach Joanne Boyle improved to 5-0 against Liberty. The Cavaliers travel to West Virginia for their next game, scheduled for 4 p.m. Sunday.