Center for Politics hosts South American students

Ambassadors program provides 'amazing experience', says Irby

The University’s Center for Politics’ Global Perspectives on Democracy Program is currently hosting 39 students from Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru as part of its Youth Ambassadors Program.

Participants learn about the importance of civic engagement, enhance their leadership skills, and experience American culture during the three weeks they spend in the United States.

Steeven Fernandez, a program participant from Ecuador, said he is interested in learning leadership skills in order to improve his life and his nation.

“In my country, it’s not common to know about leadership,” Fernandez said. “The ones who think they’re leaders have all the power from birth, and they’re not leaders. I think that learning here about leadership, I can do myself a better living.”

Fernandez and his classmates are spending the first week of their visit at the University, where they will learn about civic involvement and the American political process from a variety of guest speakers.

Politics Prof. Larry Sabato addressed the youth ambassadors Tuesday. He spoke about the importance of learning about different government systems.

“I think one of the great things about this program is that we learn about you, and you learn about us,” he said in his address.

On Monday night, a local rapper spoke to the program participants about using art to work toward community improvement.

After their time in Charlottesville, the students will split into three groups to travel to Chicago, Pensacola and Portland. There, they will visit other schools and participate in homestays. The program will conclude with a three day trip to Washington, D.C.

The Youth Ambassadors program is sponsored by the State Department’s Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs. It is funded with grants jointly applied for with World Learning, Inc., a D.C.-based institution which organizes education, exchange and development programs for leadership in more than 60 countries.

The program has an American counterpart as well. This summer, a group of high school students from Charlottesville went to Argentina and Chile. Students in this program focused on the same themes of leadership, civic engagement and cultural understanding.

The group of youth ambassadors currently visiting the University is the sixth to come, and Daman Irby, University director of global initiatives, said he considers the program a success.

“The students always leave with an amazing experience, they all leave with a great love for the University of Virginia,” Irby said. “They also go home, most importantly, excited about teaching others what they learned, [using] practical knowledge to build consensus and help improve their local situations.”

Fernandez said he hopes to return Charlottesville in the future.

“I hope to return someday and maybe study here,” Fernandez said. “Be another Cavalier!”