Matthew wanted for abduction with intent to defile

Police release new warrants, decline to release new evidence

<p>Charlottesville Police Chief Timothy Longo announced at a press conference Tuesday that a new arrest warrant has been issued against Jesse Matthew for abduction with intent to defile.</p>

Charlottesville Police Chief Timothy Longo announced at a press conference Tuesday that a new arrest warrant has been issued against Jesse Matthew for abduction with intent to defile.

Update 2:45 p.m.: 

Charlottesville attorney Jim Camblos has confirmed that he is Jesse Matthew's attorney. He has been working with Matthew since Saturday, September 20.

The University also confirmed that Matthew has been suspended without pay from his job at the Medical Center as a result of the criminal charge filed against him Tuesday.

Charlottesville police have revised the charges against Jesse Matthew to include abduction with intent to defile, a class-two felony charge, in the investigation into the disappearance of second-year College student Hannah Graham, who has been missing since early morning Sept. 13. A new warrant for his arrest was obtained late Tuesday afternoon.

Matthew, a Charlottesville resident employed as a patient technician in the University Medical Center, was previously wanted on two charges of reckless driving, a class-one misdemeanor. Those charges still stand.

Matthew is described as a 32-year-old black male who is 6’2, 270 pounds and has dreadlocks. Police have released an updated wanted poster, which lists Matthew as having associates or contacts in Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Police Chief Timothy Longo said Charlottesville police are employing the resources of state and federal agencies in the search for Matthew, who was last seen Saturday afternoon when officers who were overtly monitoring Matthew's movement watched him flee at a high rate of speed. The officers were forced to disengage for their own safety.

Matthew voluntarily went to the police station earlier that day and asked to speak to a lawyer. He did not speak with police at that time.

Longo said the investigation has now reached a “critical” stage, and that he aims to bring Matthew into custody.

At a Sunday press conference, Longo said the department was awaiting the return of evidence seized in a Friday search of Matthew’s car and apartment from the Department of Forensic Sciences, and anticipated results by Tuesday at the latest. No new evidence was disclosed at the Tuesday press conference.

Because of the stage of the investigation, Longo said the department may never be in a position to speak specifically as to what evidence led the investigation to this point.

“Between now and when this goes to trial, we will need to be very sensitive as to what we release,” he said.

Longo said police are continuing their search for Graham even as they pursue Matthew.

"We absolutely are continuing our search for Hannah even as we speak, and we will continue our search for Hannah," Longo said.

According to Virginia code, an individual convicted of abduction with intent to defile, if sentenced to less than life in prison, faces "a suspended sentence of no less than 40 years."

Anyone with information is asked to call the tip line at 434-295-3851.

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly listed the description of the cause for the warrant as "abduction with attempt to defile." It reads "abduction with intent to defile."