James Salter named University writer-in-residence

Bestselling author to lecture, write on Grounds

American novelist James Salter has returned to the University this fall as the inaugural Kapnick Distinguished Writer-in-Residence. Salter was previously at the University for a week-long stint as a Rea Visiting Writer in 1991.

“James Salter is a brilliant storyteller, a genius about people falling in and out of love, a master stylist,” Creative Writing Program Director Christopher Tilghman said. “His work has been treasured and revered by the literary world since his first novel published in 1955.”

The Kapnick Distinguished Writer-in-Residence program was established last year under the purview of the Creative Writing Program to bring renowned writers to the University to teach students and engage the literary community.

“The intention of the donor, Mr. Kapnick, was to reinstitute the sort of position that William Faulkner had at the University in the mid 1950s — not to be a faculty member, but to give a series of lectures and a public reading and to join in the literary life here,” said John Casey, a professor of fiction writing and one of the co-chairs of the Kapnick committee.

As the writer-in-residence, Salter will spend this semester leading graduate workshops on fiction. His talk on “The Art of Fiction” will be held Oct. 9, 14 and 27 in the Harrison Institute. Salter will also conduct a reading of his work and book signing Nov. 11 in the Newcomb Kaleidoscope Room.

“A writer-in-residence participates in the literary life of a university by connecting with the community in a variety of ways: teaching, lecturing and reading his or her work,” University Press Director Mark Saunders said. “Often, such a position will also afford the writer time and a place to work at his craft. The presence of an artist can have catalytic effects on the place and its culture.”

Originally an Air Force pilot, Salter abandoned his military career in 1957 after the publication of his first novel, “The Hunters.” Since then, Salter has become a “writer’s writer,” winning numerous literary awards for his work.

“His sentences are concise, all inclusive, devastating,” Tilghman said. “When he hits a period, there is nothing more to say. Metaphors — the right metaphor, the unexpected metaphor — drop into his paragraphs like jewels.”

Salter’s best-known novels include “A Sport and a Pastime,” “All That Is” and his story collection, “Dusk and Other Stories.” His memoir, “Burning the Days,” is “a gorgeous sweep of time,” Tilghman said.

“You can find smart people who have different favorites from the long bookshelf of James Salter’s works,” Casey said. “And they would have to think for a while about which of the half dozen or dozen of his works that they have loved is ‘favorite’.”

Casey, who led the search committee with Tilghman, English Prof. Jane Alison and French Prof. Kandioura Dramé, said they went with their writing and reading experience and judgement when selecting Salter.

“What does James Salter bring to the University? A very long and full experience of life and reading and writing — from the time he spent as a jet fighter pilot during the Korean War to his years in Europe,” Casey said. “He is also an appreciative reader of other writers. The MFA candidates in fiction who have had discussions with him are enthralled.”