Ragged Mountain Running Shop organizes year-long marathon

Event will incorporate 34 community race events

Ragged Mountain Running Shop is currently organizing a marathon, dubbed the C-VILLE-athon, to take place over a year. Co-sponsored with the C-Ville Weekly, the C-VILLE-athon will consist of 34 non-profit races held around Charlottesville, to benefit local causes. Events include the Fourth Year 5K and the Charlottesville Ten Miler.

Mark Lorenzoni, Ragged Mountain Running Shop co-owner, said he imagines three principal benefits of the event, including appeal to a wider audience.

“One [benefit] is that you get people who couldn’t handle completing a marathon to say that they have, in a year, accomplished a marathon’s worth of racing,” Lorenzoni said. “This is another stepping-stone to getting to a real marathon.”

Lorenzoni said the C-VILLE-athon represents a great fundraising opportunity. Estimating that the Ragged Mountain Running has raised around $5 million through nonprofit races, since its opening in 1982, he said the C-VILLE-athon is a way to build on the store’s progress in fundraising.

“The purpose is to get people more involved in local causes,” Lorenzoni said. “The races were carefully chosen in that they are 100% not for profit … All money goes right back to the cause, and all are volunteer based.”

Because the longest race is 10 miles, runners must participate in multiple races to run a full marathon and complete the 26.2 miles. In doing so, runners are exposed to more charities, likely furthering their involvement with the community.

Lorenzoni also said this would also benefit the runners, in addition to local charities and could be accomplished by runners of all levels of expertise.

“I think it’s just being a little more connected to their community, more aware of their causes and the thrill of doing a poor-man’s marathon,” Lorenzoni said. “Beginner runners — they can accomplish this … It isn’t about ability, it’s about participation.”

Lorenzoni said the C-VILLE-athon has the potential to bring the University and Charlottesville communities closer together, since some of the events are held on Grounds and organized by students.

“This would be a good way to get involved in student-run runs,” Lorenzoni said.

Second-year College student Tracy Cote said the event made her more likely to participate in community races.

“It gives me more incentive to keep track of the races I’ve done,” Cote said. “It gives you a goal to work toward. You can still feel the accomplishment of a marathon.”

Participants can register for free online at cvilleathon.org. More information can also be found on their Facebook and Twitter pages.