Cavaliers open outdoor season at Virginia Cup

On Saturday afternoon, the Cavalier track and field program hosted its first outdoor meet of 2015 — the Virginia Cup. Both the men and women’s teams enjoyed a great deal of success, with Virginia athletes winning 20 of 36 events against their in-state foes.

Cavalier women challenged athletes from Norfolk State, James Madison, Radford and Liberty in separate, dual-meets. They outmatched the Spartans (120-27), Dukes (119-37), Highlanders (116-40) and Flames (93-69).

Junior Peyton Chaney led the way for Virginia, finishing first in the women’s 100-meter dash with a time of 11.68 seconds. Then, just forty minutes later, she won the 200-meter dash with a time of 23.94 seconds.

Graduate students Kathleen Stevens (3000 meter) and Iona Lake (1500 meter), senior Moira Cronin (high jump), sophomores Sara Sargent (800 meter), Andrea Wright (400 meter), Heather Smith (400-meter hurdles), Caitlin Mautz (javelin) and Kendall Cowne (2000-meter steeplechase) and freshman Bridget Guy (pole vault) all finished first.

Four other Cavalier women — graduate student Vanessa Fabrizio and sophomores Chimere Ezumah, Micah Brickhill and Heather Smith — ended the afternoon with a victory in the 4x400 meter relay.

The men topped Norfolk State 102-34 but fell to Liberty 84-65. Juniors Devin Brewer (110-meter hurdles), Scott Clarke (100 meter) and Ed Schrom (1500 meter), and sophomores Jordan Young (shot put), Filip Mihaljevic (discus) and Connor Rog (3000 meter), each contributed wins and 5 points.

The 4x400 relay — Brewer, sophomore David Bartha, freshman Logan Carrington, and redshirt freshman Cam Collins — took first place as well.

Virginia now prepares for the Fred Hardy Invitational, March 27-28, in Richmond.

--compiled by Grant Gossage