Virginia men conclude season at NCAAs

The Virginia men’s swimming and diving team wrapped up its season this past weekend at the NCAA Championship meet in Iowa City, Iowa. The Cavaliers, who only qualified senior diver JB Kolod and junior swimmer Yannick Kaeser for the meet, finished in 33rd place with eight points. It was the program’s lowest finish since 1987.

Kolod was Virginia’s lone competitor Thursday. He placed 24th on the 1-meter springboards with a score of 329.40.

Friday, however, saw improved results. Kaeser touched in at 16th in the 100-yard breaststroke in a time of 53.12. With the finish, he earned Honorable Mention All-American honors for the second time in his career – the other a 16th-place finish in the 200-yard breaststroke last season.

Later in the day, Kolod placed 10th on the 3-meter event to earn Honorable Mention All-American honors. His score of 444.75 broke his previous program record set against Navy earlier this season.

Kaeser concluded the meet by placing 23rd in the 200-yard breaststroke Saturday with a time of 1:54.44. Two events later, Kolod’s score of 357.85 in the platform dive put him in 18th.

Kolod, who concluded his Virginia diving career Saturday, finished with three consecutive top-16 finishes in the 3-meter dive at the NCAA championships after placing seventh in 2014 and 12th in 2013. Those three finishes, in addition to a 10th-place finish in the platform event last season, give him four All-American honors for his career.