No. 7 Virginia takes down No. 19 Johns Hopkins

For the second-straight year, the annual battle for the Doyle Smith Cup needed overtime to decide a victor. And once again, it was junior midfielder Greg Coholan who secured bragging rights for the Cavaliers.

Behind five goals and two assists from senior midfielder Ryan Tucker and Coholan’s overtime strike, No. 7 Virginia (6-2, 0-2 ACC) outgunned No. 19 Johns Hopkins (3-5), 16-15 Saturday.

Virginia jumped out to an early 3-0 advantage, but the Blue Jays responded by scoring six unanswered. However, the Cavaliers used another 3-0 run over the final 9:04 of the second quarter to even the halftime score at six.

Each team netted five goals in a third quarter that featured plenty of back-and-forth action. Sophomore midfielder Zed Williams – who scored four goals on the day – tallied his first two in the third frame.

The two squads traded goals to begin the fourth quarter, but a 3-0 run by Johns Hopkins gave the Blue Jays a two-goal lead with 4:43 to play. Senior midfielder Tyler German pulled Virginia within one with 1:34 remaining, and following a Johns Hopkins turnover, Tucker provided the equalizer with just 46 seconds to play.

After a Blue Jay slashing penalty with 33 seconds left in regulation, Virginia held the ball to maintain possession to start overtime. Coholan, who scored last-year’s game-winner over Johns Hopkins, netted the deciding goal 2:29 into the extra period.

Virginia lost the faceoff battle 24-9. Sophomore goalie Matt Barrett recorded 13 saves for the Cavaliers.

Virginia will next face Virginia Military Institute Tuesday in Lexington, Va. Opening faceoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.

—compiled by Robert Elder