No. 8 women's lacrosse downs Duke

The No. 8 Virginia women’s lacrosse team ended No. 4 Duke’s undefeated season on Saturday with a 13-10 victory at Klöckner Stadium to clinch a season-best three-game win streak. The win also marks Virginia’s third-straight win against a top-25 team and first conference win on the season.

After Duke (9-1, 3-1 ACC) scored the opening goal, Virginia (6-4, 1-2 ACC) reeled off five straight to take a 5-1 lead midway in the half before each team scored two more goals to end the half. Virginia only attempted one more shot than Duke in the first half, but five of the Blue Devils’ 11 shots missed the mark. The other six resulted in three goals, two saves by freshman goalie Rachel Vander Kolk and a block.

Virginia opened the second half with two consecutive goals to extend its 7-3 halftime lead to six. Duke countered by scoring the game’s next four goals. With the score within reach for the Blue Devils, Virginia won the ensuing control and attempted three shots to extend its lead but couldn’t find the back of the net.

After the latter of the three shots resulted in a save, Duke regained possession, but Virginia senior defender Kelsey Gahan caused the Blue Devils to turn the ball over a minute later to give Virginia another shot to extend its lead. Likewise, the shot attempt was saved by Duke and turned over, allowing redshirt senior attacker Liza Blue to finally find the hole after 14 scoreless minutes for the Cavaliers.

Two minutes later, Virginia scored another goal to push its lead back to four. Duke outscored Virginia 3-2 in the remaining 10:41, but it wasn’t enough for the comeback as Vander Kolk made crucial saves on two of the last five of Duke’s shots.

Virginia finished the game with 20 of 25 shots on goal and was perfect on clears for the third straight game. In the game, the Cavaliers also held a slight draw control advantage over the Blue Devils, 13-12.

Senior attacker Casey Bocklet led the way for the Cavaliers with four goals — three of them coming in the first half — while Duke’s senior attacker Kerrin Maurer led her team with three goals and two assists.

The Cavaliers return to the field on Wednesday when they face William & Mary on the road.

--compiled by Chanhong Luu