Women's lacrosse defeats JMU, 14-12

In a midweek road game, the Virginia women’s lacrosse team picked up a 14-12 win against No. 12 James Madison Wednesday.

JMU closed the game outscoring the Cavaliers 6-2, but a six-goal cushion after an early second half Cavalier run was enough for them to secure their second straight win on the season and push their record over .500 (5-4, 0-2 ACC) for just the second time this season. For the Dukes (7-2), this was only their second loss of the season.

JMU started the game scoring two unanswered goals after junior midfielder Jaci Gordon caused a Virginia turnover that led to the Dukes’ second goal. JMU caused a total of 10 Cavalier turnovers but could not capitalize on them as they also turned the ball over 11 times — six of them uncaused.

Virginia countered scoring three straight goals, including a goal six seconds after winning a draw control. However, neither team could pull away with a lead larger than two goals in the first half. Virginia took a 6-5 lead going into the break after redshirt senior attacker Liza Blue scored a goal with five seconds left on the clock.Virginia finished the half outshooting the Dukes 16-12.

After winning the opening draw in the second half and scoring on the subsequent possession 71 seconds later, the Cavaliers scored five more goals to JMU’s zero to pull away from the Dukes.

The Cavaliers won a total of 16 draw controls to James Madison’s 12 and were a perfect 11 for 11 on clears.

Blue led the Cavaliers with four goals, while senior attacker Casey Bocklet led the team with three assists. Gordon added two goals, an assist and another caused turnover to round out her night.

Virginia returns to action Saturday when it faces No. 4 Duke at home.