IMP Society, Black Student Alliance close fellowship grant applications

Groups to review 19 applicaitions, release decision early May

<p>IMP member Priya Bhardwaj said they felt it best to partner with BSA in focusing on social justice issues in light of recent events.</p>

IMP member Priya Bhardwaj said they felt it best to partner with BSA in focusing on social justice issues in light of recent events.

The IMP Society and the Black Student Alliance closed applications Wednesday for their Social Justice Fellowship grant. This $3,000 grant will be awarded to an individual or group of students in order to finance a project that focuses on inequality and injustice at the University and in the greater Charlottesville community.

This is the first year a grant of this type is being offered. Typically, the grant sponsored by the IMP Society focuses on service projects that benefit the University community. However, in light of both recent and longstanding issues concerning social injustice at the University, IMP Society member Priya Bhardwaj, a graduate Commerce student, said the secret society felt it best to partner with BSA.

“Since this partnership is new and involves a collaboration of BSA and the IMP Society, we are looking for candidates that reflect values that both organizations feel best tackle social injustices in the Charlottesville community,” Bhardwaj said in an email. “We are looking for projects that have a clear vision with implementable and actionable solutions.”

The Social Justice Fellowship grant group received 19 applications, which will be reviewed in the next week and followed by interviews. The winner of the project will be announced in early May.