First steps taken toward removal of Commonwealth license plate Confederate flag

Attorney General Mark R. Herring files motion

Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe announced in Richmond Tuesday his intention to remove the Confederate Battle Flag from Virginia license plates. The announcement comes in response to both the recent shooting at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina and the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to allow states to restrict license plate designs.

Attorney General Mark Herring filed a request Friday in a federal court in the Western District of Virginia to have the flag removed from Commonwealth plates.

“It’s past time to move beyond this divisive symbol, which for so many represents oppression and injustice,” Herring said. “I applaud Governor McAuliffe for his leadership and will work with him and his team to take the steps necessary to remove the Confederate battle flag from Virginia’s license plates.”

McAuliffe has also directed Secretary of Transportation Aubrey Layne to create a plan for replacing the plates already in circulation as soon as possible.

“These steps will, I hope, make clear that this Commonwealth does not support the display of the Confederate battle flag or the message it sends to the rest of the world,” McAuliffe said in a statement.