Gov. McAuliffe declares June LGBT Pride Month

University groups support Virginia's progress towards acceptance

<p>Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe pledged his commitment to LGBT priorities during his gubernatorial campaign.</p>

Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe pledged his commitment to LGBT priorities during his gubernatorial campaign.

Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe declared June Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month in the Commonwealth of Virginia for the second year in a row at a reception in the Governor’s Mansion June 2.

McAuliffe said his official proclamation expresses the Commonwealth’s commitment to ensuring equality for all Virginians.

“Making this Commonwealth more open and welcoming to all is an essential part of my effort to build a new Virginia economy,” McAuliffe said in a press release.

McAuliffe pledged his commitment to LGBTQ priorities during his gubernatorial campaign, and since taking office he has signed an executive order prohibiting workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity, directed state agencies to comply with the Supreme Court’s decision on same-sex marriage and announced an Equal Opportunity legislative agenda.

Queer Grads President Jarek Ervin, a graduate Arts and Sciences student, lauded the governor's proclamation as well as the progress the state is making under McAuliffe’s leadership.

“I think the decision is a really positive thing for the LGBTQ community,” Ervin said. “Recognition at the state level is a significant symbolic move, and promoting the idea of pride rather than shame or stigma is something that is really necessary at this juncture. I've seen Virginia make great strides in my time here, and the repeal of the state's ban on same-sex marriage last fall was only one of many important things LGBTQ activists have accomplished.”

Open Athletes President Jake Power, a fourth-year College student, said he also feels encouraged by Virginia’s recent strides toward equality.

“Some people will argue that this progress is too late, that Virginia is just following the lead of more liberal states,” Power said. “This may be true, but change is change nonetheless. I don't think we can necessarily shame a state for being ‘too slow’ to make progress, when that progress is still a step in the right direction.”

Power also said he recognizes there is room for additional improvement.

“Of course, there is still work to be done, especially in regard to the rights of trans people, but I am confident that Virginia will continue to move forward and remain a welcoming place for all people,” Power said.

Ervin said he hopes the passage of future legislation will turn McAuliffe’s rhetoric into reality.

“Recognition needs to be matched by legislation, and I hope that we'll see important changes in workplaces, schools, and communities that make life safer and freer for LGBTQ persons and families,” Ervin said.

In the meantime, Ervin said he is proud of the progressive attitude the University has towards LGBTQ rights.

“My sense is that U.Va. is also doing its best to be part of that change, and I'm glad to be in such a strong, supportive community,” Ervin said.