New University architect indicates commitment to historical preservation

Raucher's appointment follows seven-month search by Board of Visitors

<p>Alice J. Raucher called the University “the embodiment of the ideals of Jefferson.”</p>

Alice J. Raucher called the University “the embodiment of the ideals of Jefferson.”

After much build-up, the University’s new architect took took the reins Sept. 14.

Alice Raucher was appointed in July after a seven-month search.

Raucher succeeds David Neuman, who left the position last year to begin a private practice after acting as the architect for the University for 11 years.

The architect’s primary role is to advise the Board of Visitors, specifically the Buildings and Grounds Committee, on the design development of University buildings. Raucher defined the role as the “aesthetic conscience along with the Board of Visitors.”

The Board of Visitors met in January 2015 to officially begin the search for a new architect after formulating a job description in December 2014. Raucher was selected for the position out of about 60 applicants.

Raucher called the University “the embodiment of the ideals of Jefferson”, and said she was drawn to the position by “the idea that there’s the opportunity to preserve that heritage and also participate in the planning of the growth of the University to support the Cornerstone Plan and the visions of the Board of Visitors and administration.”

Joni Louque, the senior search consultant who helped the Board of Visitors hire Raucher, said Raucher “just rose to the top” of the competition.

“I believe she will bring a true appreciation for the University,” Louque said. “She takes seriously the responsibility of maintaining the historic preservation of the University as well as the future.”

Raucher is a registered architect in New York and Connecticut and spent the last eight years as the senior architect. At Yale, she oversaw the planning and design of their two new residential colleges. She also was on the staff of the Syracuse University School of Architecture, and was the Director of the school’s program in Florence, Italy.

Raucher said her prior experience allows her to understand the importance of historic preservation at the University.