Students gather to hold 9/11 memorial ceremony

U.Va. groups gather to honor victims

<p>Students gathered at Old Cabell Hall to commemorate the victims of the 2001 attacks.</p>

Students gathered at Old Cabell Hall to commemorate the victims of the 2001 attacks.

Student Council hosted a 9/11 memorial event on Friday in honor of victims of the terrorist attacks 14 years ago.

“The event was meant to honor the sacrifices made back in 2001 and the ongoing impact that the day still has,” said Student Council President Abe Axler, a third-year College student.

The event, hosted alongside Young Americans for Freedom, the Burke Society and the College Republicans, also intended to comfort those in mourning, Axler said.

The ceremony started with the singing of the national anthem, as well as the presentation of arms by University ROTC members. Three speakers told about their experiences on 9/11, including fourth-year students Troy Kirwin and Brigid McDonald, both of whom lost fathers on that day.

In her speech, McDonald spoke of her father and some of the details she remembered of his character.

“Although specific memories of him have faded through the years, I distinctly remembered his goofy personality and sense of humor,” she said.

She also spoke of the healing process, touching on some of what has helped her move forward.

“It didn’t ruin my life. Time can heal anything,” McDonald said. “I’ve made so many great relationships, gone on to be successful, and I’m at U.Va. I’ve let go of my anger and moved forward, but I’ll never forget my father and other lives lost on 9/11.”

Kirwin also spoke about his memory of the day a plane crashed into the 105th floor of the North Tower, where his father worked.

“What first came as shock and confusion to my own self, then turned to anger and sadness,” Kirwin said. “How could this happen in America? I didn’t know how to look forward, and move on...”

After the two spoke, the crowd moved outside to light candles to honor the memory of those deceased, then moved in a procession to the south lawn in front of Old Cabell Hall.

The crowd prayed in honor of the victims before the ROTC members presented the colors for the last time, then dispersed in silence.