Look Hoo's Talking features Teresa Sullivan, Lou Bloomfield

Six U.Va. professors from diverse departments speak on passion, give students advice

Student Council’s semi-annual event Look Hoos Talking featuring University President Teresa Sullivan and five University professors from varying disciplines took place Tuesday evening. The professors discussed various topics related to their field of study, but each touched on the idea of passion.

The TED Talk-style presentation was primarily organized by Student Council’s academic affairs committee.

Shelbey Keegan, fourth-year College student and co-chair of the committee, said a major goal this year was to reach out to first-year students who may not otherwise get to hear from such well-known professors.

“One of the really cool things that we are excited about this year is that Look Hoos Talking is a very diverse group of professors,” Keegan said. “So for example, Suzanne Moomaw is a professor in the Architecture School who is in Urban Planning and we have [the] very accomplished and acclaimed Prof. Kenneth White, who’s in the Nursing School.”

Keegan was not the only one excited by the diversity of the speakers. Sugat Poudel, a third-year Engineering student, also shared his enthusiasm.

“For me, it’s an opportunity to see different professors, because coming from one specific school, I don’t have the opportunity to hear them speak sometimes,” Poudel said.

Moomaw and White were joined by Economics Prof. Carter Doyle, Music Prof. Michael Slon, Physics Prof. Lou Bloomfield and Sullivan.

The talks centered on giving students meaningful advice, and President Sullivan’s talk was no exception. She concluded her discussion of destructive ideas that changed the world by stating her greatest idea was to believe in University student ideas.

“What is your greatest idea?” Sullivan asked. “Take all the time you need to think about it, but remember — seven and a half billion people are waiting to hear your answer.”

Bloomfield’s speech — titled Passions and Compulsions — revolved around the internal struggle between pursuing one’s true passion and pursuing what one feels obligated to pursue. This is particularly relevant to University students, who are high achievers by nature, he said.

“Passions can take you in directions that bring you great joy and satisfaction. Passions are precious for that very reason,” Bloomfield said. “Follow your passions and your dreams at reasonable cost.”

Moomaw’s speech, which centered around issues faced in community development, also included a discussion of individual passion.

“Waiting for the right moment or the right circumstance is not an option...You have to stay with things,” Moomaw said. “You have to be passionate and cross any hurdle.”

Doyle and White both spoke about their individual passions. They predicted changes in the economy and compassionate care, respectively.

Slon drew from his discipline in his discussion of the power music to build community, both across the world and at the University.

Correction: The article previously incorrectly referred to Sugat Poudel as "her."