U.Va. announces death of fourth-year student Kurt Hilburger

Hilburger dies Wednesday morning following weekend car accident

Fourth-year College student Kurt Hilburger died this morning from injuries sustained in a car accident which occurred this weekend, the University announced Wednesday.

Hilburger, an Archaeology and Anthropology double major, was a resident of Brown College and was very involved in the life of the residential college by serving on the governing board, according to a release from Dean of Students Allen Groves.

“Our thoughts are with the family and Kurt’s many friends in the University community,” Groves said in the release.

In an email to the University, Groves encouraged students to support one another.

“I encourage you to reach out to one another for comfort and support in this time of sadness and grief,” Groves said. “With the death of Margaret Lowe on Sept. 1, the fourth-year class has lost two members in one month's time. I recognize the impact these losses have upon our shared community.”

Hilburger is survived by his parents, John and Jill Hilburger. No information regarding a funeral service has been released at this time.