Albemarle County to fund materials utilization center renovation

Center does not meet current environmental regulations

<p>The Rivanna&nbsp;Solid Waste Authority will be making renovations to their Ivy Materials Utilization Center in order to comply with Department of Environmental Quality standards.</p>

The Rivanna Solid Waste Authority will be making renovations to their Ivy Materials Utilization Center in order to comply with Department of Environmental Quality standards.

Discussions on renovating the Ivy Materials Utilization Center in Charlottesville are currently underway.

The center — operated by the Rivanna Solid Waste Authority — includes a transfer center for solid waste built in 1988. At the time, zoning relations prohibited the center from having a roof. Statewide environmental standards have since been implemented which mandate a roof to avoid rainwater coming into contact with the waste.

The renovation plans for the center include a new transfer center built on the same property, which would have a roof, as well as a 10,000 square foot “tipping floor,” or a drop-off point for solid waste.

Engineering consultants hired by Albemarle County estimated total costs for the project at $2.6 million as of October, said Tom Frederick, Rivanna Solid Waste Authority executive director, in an email. Frederick said RSWA will negotiate the contract with terms for County payment to the authority

Mark Graham, director of community development for Albemarle County and an ex-officio member of RSWA’s Board of Directors, said the county is already prepared to appropriate $1.2 million to the project this fiscal year.

“Given the lead time for design approval and contracting of construction services, actual construction of the facility is not anticipated to start until the second half of 2016,” Graham said in an email. “Thus, currently available funds are adequate for the design services [and] remaining funds can be addressed as part of the [next fiscal year’s] budget approval.”

In order to move forward, a plan detailing the milestone schedule for the project must be submitted to the Commonwealth by Dec. 31, Frederick said.

“It is expected that this plan will be completed by the deadline,” Frederick said.

However, prior to developing the milestone schedule, the county must first reach a contractual agreement with the authority about what the authority’s responsibilities regarding the new center will be. Work on the center’s design can only begin once such an agreement is reached.

“While a precise schedule is not possible and it is premature to discuss agreement specifics, I can say discussions are underway and we anticipate the agreement will be completed well in advance of any point where it might cause project delays,” Graham said. “I view the agreement as an important first step rather than an obstacle to overcome.”