Charlottesville workers hold protest for higher minimum wage

Demonstration part of national movement "Fight for $15"

Liz Schenker, organizer of "Raise Up," talks with the small crowd during a protest outside City Hall asking elected officials for $15/hr. and union rights for fast-food, home care and child care workers Tuesday in Charlottesville, Va. The event was part of a 500 city nationwide protest. Photo/The Daily Progress/Andrew Shurtleff

Charlottesville workers gathered outside City Hall Tuesday in support of increasing the federal minimum wage to $15.

The event was sponsored by Fight for $15, a national organization pushing for the wage increase along with the ability for workers to unionize.

Five hundred protests and work strikes took place across the country Tuesday as part of the national Fight for $15 movement for a living wage.

The current minimum wage in Virginia is $7.25 per hour, which provoked chants at the rally such as “We can’t survive off of $7.25.”

The majority of the protesters were child care, home care or fast food workers.

“Workers need a raise now,” protestor Anthony Holbert said. “We’re here because we want to be able to support our household on our own. We’re here [because] we want to get paid for our work.”

The protesters argued it is impossible to sufficiently provide for a family while earning current minimum wage.

The event also encouraged people to register to vote for the 2016 presidential election.

Derick Beale, a leader at the rally, said the event was a success.

City of Charlottesville spokeswoman Miriam Dickler said the protest was part of a larger national conversation about wages, and was not directed at the city.

Minimum wages are set at the state level.