U.Va. health system, Humana insurance announce new agreement

Agreement will provide in-network access to estimated 10,000 central Virginia residents

<p>Humana and University Health Services collaborated on this agreement to provide patients with more choices in regard to their health, Blunt said.</p>

Humana and University Health Services collaborated on this agreement to provide patients with more choices in regard to their health, Blunt said.

The University Health System and Humana have reached an agreement providing Humana members in-network access to University hospitals and doctors.

The University Health System was not a participating provider in Humana’s healthcare network before the agreement, said Jeff Blunt, media relations manager for Humana.

Humana members needed an out-of-network authorization, or had to pay a fee for out-network health care, except in the case of emergencies. The agreement, which will go into effect by Jan. 1, means members of Humana’s Medicare Advantage and Commonwealth Coordinated Care Plan no longer have to pay an extra fee.

This agreement will provide in-network care to an estimated 10,000 residents of central Virginia and approximately 140,000 Virginians overall. Humana Medicare Advantage members who live outside Virginia would also have access to University hospitals, doctors and clinics. However, this agreement only applies to patients eligible for either Medicare or Medicaid, not Humana’s military or commercial health insurance.

The agreement will provide Humana members easier access to University facilities, likely causing an increase in patients seeking medical services, said Eric Swensen, public information officer for the University Health System.

“With the cost savings patients receive because U.Va. is becoming an in-network provider, we expect more patients with these insurance plans to seek care at U.Va.,” Swensen said in an email. “It also simplifies the authorization process with Humana, since we will now be in-network.”

“We work closely with providers and hospitals to expand our network and give our members access to coverage and care,” Blunt said. “They [members] have access to world-class care and more choice and opportunities.”

Both Swensen and Blunt said they believe classifying University Health Services as an in-network provider will give Virginia residents better access to University facilities in Charlottesville, Culpeper and in central Virginia in general.

“We believe this agreement will make it easier for Humana members across Virginia to access our high-quality, specialized care and our dedicated team of healthcare providers,” Swensen said.