University receives 16,778 early action applications

Submissions up from last year

<p>The original letter refers to specific statistics about possible sexual harassment in its summary.</p>

The original letter refers to specific statistics about possible sexual harassment in its summary.

The University received 16,778 undergraduate early action applications for the Class of 2020, up from 16,081 applications last year.

The University does not accept a predetermined number of early applicants each year, but it accepted 4,851 such applications last year. The number accepted each year depends on the quality of early applicants, University Deputy Spokesperson Matthew Charles said.

“The number of offers depends upon the applicant pool,” Charles said in an email statement.

The regular decision deadline for the Class of 2020 is January 1, 2016. Last year, the University received 30,840 total applications.

The Office of Undergraduate Admission reviews applications holistically, taking under consideration grades, courses taken, standardized testing and extracurricular involvement, as well as student background and character.

With 3,675 slots planned for the Class of 2020, the University has several plans to accommodate growing class sizes. Construction now underway of additional first year housing will be completed in August 2016.

The University is also in the first year of hiring a higher volume of new professors, in addition to simply replacing those who are retiring, Charles said.

“The Board of Visitors and President Sullivan have authorized 105 new strategic faculty hires over the next five years in response to the expected growth in students,” Charles said.

The University began offering Early Action applications in 2012, and received 10,817 completed applications the first year. In the past four years, early action applications have increased by approximately 50 percent.