Faculty authored petition garners support for U.Va. Muslim community

Petition has more than a thousand signatures, hundreds of supportive messages

After recent comments made by public figures such as Donald Trump and Jerry Falwell Jr. critical of Muslims, two University faculty members created a petition of support for the Muslim community.

The petition was created by faculty members Frank Dukes, lecturer and distinguished institute fellow of the Institute for Environmental Negotiation, and John Alexander, associate director of Sciences, Humanities and Arts Network of Technological Initiatives.

“We, members of the staff and faculty of the University of Virginia, affirm our support and love for our Muslim students, colleagues, and friends, along with their families and communities,” the petition reads.

The petition began circulating December 14, and currently has over a thousand signatures from faculty, staff and students, as well as over one hundred messages of personal support.

Dukes said he and Alexander have two main goals: to offer support for the Muslim community and to provide an outlet by which members of the University community can publicly disagree with demeaning comments made against Muslims.

“A lot of people are absolutely outraged at the outright religious bigotry,” Dukes said. “I think it’s important for all of us to be public witness for people who might be threatened for whatever reason.”

The petition is intended to “give people a tolerant and constructive area where they can publicly express their discontent,” Alexander said.

Both Dukes and Alexander said it has been gratifying to hear from Muslim students and staff about how they appreciate the petition.

Fourth-year Engineering student and President of the Muslim Students Association Junaid Ahmed said he greatly appreciated the support and reassurance from the Charlottesville community.

“What is remarkable to me is that this petition, started by concerned faculty without any help from the Muslim community, has received such vast amount of signatories and responses in support and love of Muslims here in America,” Ahmed said in an email statement.

First-year College student and MSA member Rawda Fawaz said the petition acknowledges the diversity Muslims add to the University.

“It recognizes us as an added value to U.Va.” Fawaz said.

Third-year College student and MSA secretary Mariya Tayyab said the fear stems from unfamiliarity with the religion.

“Reach out to MSA members and ask what Islam is about, because that is the only way we can fight against what Donald Trump said,” Tayyab said.

People frequently look to the Internet to answer their questions, but fail to scrutinize their sources carefully, Fawaz said

“I think it’s important not to get your information from a source that you wouldn’t use for a research paper,” Fawaz said.

Dukes said he hopes the petition will express to the Muslim community that all Americans do not share the sentiments behind recent comments attacking Islam.

“We know that those people are not speaking for the vast majority of people in the country,” Dukes said.