​Virginia Tech upsets No. 4 Virginia in Blacksburg

<p>London&nbsp;Perrantes led Virginia with 22 points after shooting 7-9 from beyond the arc. His seven threes Monday were a career high.</p>

London Perrantes led Virginia with 22 points after shooting 7-9 from beyond the arc. His seven threes Monday were a career high.

Entering Monday night, Virginia led the nation in averaging just 8.5 turnovers per game. Had the Cavaliers only committed that many against Virginia Tech, the outcome would have likely been different.

Instead, No. 4 Virginia (12-2, 1-1 ACC) coughed up the ball 16 times leading to 26 points by the Hokies (10-5, 2-0 ACC). Virginia Tech played inspired basketball, capitalizing on the Cavaliers’ mistakes to earn a 70-68 victory against their in-state rival.

The Hokies led for 22:54, including an 11-point advantage – their largest of the game – with 2:10 to play. Virginia stormed back in the closing seconds, and inbounded the ball down by two with less than 10 seconds remaining.

Junior guard London Perrantes drove to the basket and drew contact from Virginia Tech junior forward Zach LeDay, but the referees did not see a foul in the controversial no-call.

Perrantes led Virginia with 22 points after shooting 7-9 from beyond the arc. His seven threes Monday were a career high.

Senior forward Anthony Gill added 17 points, while Brogdon pitched in 15 after a 4-11 performance from the field, including a 1-5 line from three.

Four Hokies scored in double figures, with DeLay leading the way with 22 points, 18 of which came in the second half. LeDay knocked down 3-4 threes, while sophomore guard Justin Bibbs connected on 4-5 from deep.

Virginia Tech shot 52.9 percent from three – a season high for an opponent against the Cavaliers. The Hokies had a 26-22 advantage in points in the paint.

The loss snapped Virginia’s 11-game winning streak and a seven-game winning streak against their in-state rival.

Virginia will next face Georgia Tech Saturday in Atlanta, Ga. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m.