UTS expected to resume full service Feb. 8

Construction, detours create inconvenience for students

After over a month of detours, the University Transit System is expected to resume normal bus routes on the week of Feb. 8.

Since construction work and excavation started on McCormick Rd. between Alderman Rd. and Hancock Dr. in December, the Northline, Central Grounds Shuttle, Colonnade Shuttle, Outer U-Loop and Inner U-Loop have been detoured.

These routes will resume full service after the installation of a new tunnel and Medium Temperature Hot Water sourced heating system, University Spokesperson Anthony de Bruyn said.

The McCormick Rd. construction is a continuation of a utility tunnel project which began in the summer of 2015 and wrapped up before the start of the fall semester.

“When completed, the new utility tunnel will extend Medium Temperature Hot Water services to the Gilmer/Chemistry Renovation project and McCormick Rd. Residence Hall Renovation project,” de Bruyn said in an email statement.

The construction has resulted in some inconvenience for students, third-year College student Leo Cvitanovich said.

“The road being blocked off and basically gutted has certainly made it more difficult to get around, especially because I live pretty far from Central Grounds,” Cvitanovich, who lives on Virginia Ave., said.

While the construction was originally planned to have been completed by Feb. 2, Winter Storm Jonas delayed paving until later in the week, de Bruyn said. The University expects UTS to resume a full service schedule on Feb. 8.

“I’m just happy to hear that they will be up and running soon — my normal bus routine is much more time-manageable and easier to deal with,” Cvitanovich said.

Cvitanovich’s roommates, who also use some of the detoured routes, are also looking forward to the bus routes returning to normal operation, he said.

Current detours will continue to run along Emmet St. and Whitehead Rd. until Feb. 8.