Charlottesville vice mayor appointed to Virginia Board of Education

Wes Bellamy to utilize background in education during term

Charlottesville Vice Mayor Wes Bellamy was appointed to the Virginia Board of Education last Friday by Gov. Terry McAuliffe.

The Virginia Board of Education sets statewide curriculum standards, graduation requirements and testing programs while regulating the administration of state programs.

As a newly elected member to this organization, Bellamy spoke about his vision and responsibilities going forward.

“One of the main things I would like to get done is establish an alternative to the [Standard of Learning tests],” Bellamy said in an email statement. “As a teacher, I see the negative effects it has on learning, and I would like to remove that barrier. Furthermore, ensuring that the teachers in our schools are culturally competent will be a priority for me.”

In addition to being a city councilman, Bellamy currently teaches computer science and sponsors several groups at Albemarle High School.

Bellamy said his teaching experience, educational background and involvement as an active mentor and youth advocate led him to be selected.

“I think the governor was looking for someone with a fresh perspective, and someone who was in the classroom,” Bellamy said. “I believe that I view things differently than some of the other board members, and I also have an ability to think outside of the box.”

Bellamy said he is ready to hit the ground running and try to make a difference while on the board.

“Hopefully, we will be able to work as a team to move the Commonwealth forward,” Bellamy said. “Humility is key, so that will be my guide.”

Phil Giaramita, strategic communications officer at Albermable Public High Schools, said Bellamy is a strong and forceful advocate for expanding educational opportunities for all students.

“We often say that ‘all means all’ in terms of unleashing the potential of our students,” Giaramita said, “and Bellamy has been dedicated to making it possible for all students to fulfill their potential.”

Engaging with organizations such as 100 Black Men of Central Virginia, Bellamy has encouraged the holistic development of students, focused on the development of both academic success and goal-setting, pursued a high standard of ethical conduct as indispensable to success throughout one’s lifetime.

“These are highly important objectives in education, both locally in Charlottesville and Albemarle and in Richmond on behalf of students across Virginia,” Giaramita said.

Bellamy’s appointment must be confirmed by the General Assembly before he begins his term.