Honor proposes changes to accused student notifications

Changes would allow students to stay more informed of process

The Honor Committee discussed new bylaw changes that would affect the system of notifying accused students of a report or investigation against them.

The informed retraction notices in question serve two functions. According to the Honor Committee’s bylaws, they set “forth a general description of the act which is the subject of an Honor Report.” They also serve to describe the general investigation and hearing processes to students, as well as explain the possibility for the student to submit an IR report.

One of the bylaw changes could add an additional clause that would make it standard procedure for advisors to meet with reported students to discuss the investigation process prior to the IR meeting, in which they would discuss the IR in more detail.

Honor Chair Matt West, a third-year College student, said the current bylaws are problematic for several reasons.

West said there have been issues notifying students, because reports are not able to be completed by the end of the semester.

Since the Honor Committee generally suspends all proceedings during non-school days, reporter interviews can take several weeks to complete, which West said can affect students’ ability to keep any relevant evidence they may have.

The bylaw also proposes notifying students of their being reported in addition to providing notice of the IR process, West said in an email statement.

The bylaw change states that “following the receipt of a report and assignment of an Honor Advisor, the Honor Committee shall provide written notice to the reported student as soon as reasonably possible.”

West said the language — specifically “as soon as reasonably possible” — does not hold the committee to a certain timeline since each case is different and often requires decisions to be made on a case-by-case basis.

The committee presentation stated the reasoning behind this change was that it would allow for a “more supportive and effective first meeting between the student and his/her advisor.”

Correction: A previous version of this article carried the title "Honor proposes changes to Informed Retraction," when the bylaws in question would affect how students are notified, not the IR. The headline has since been corrected.