Sky Alland Scholarship awarded to Faby Chaillo

Commerce student awarded annual full-ride scholarship

<p>Chaillo is the current president of the Commerce School Council and serves on the Executive Committee for the Hoo Crew, which she has been on for three years.</p>

Chaillo is the current president of the Commerce School Council and serves on the Executive Committee for the Hoo Crew, which she has been on for three years.

Third-year Commerce student Faby Chaillo is the newest recipient of the annually awarded, merit-based Sky Alland Scholarship.

The full-ride scholarship for rising fourth-years was started in 1994 in memory of Commerce graduate Sky Alland after he was killed in a 1992 carjacking.

Chaillo is the 22nd student to receive the Sky Alland Scholarship.

Friends and colleagues of Alland started an endowment for the scholarship in his name both to honor his character and commemorate his memory at the University.

Recipients are nominated by members of the University community and reviewed first by a student selection committee in the fall. Semi-finalists and finalists are then reviewed by the scholarship committee in the spring.

Award recipients exemplify the five qualities friends and colleagues associated with Alland — leadership, achievement, enterprising spirit, humility and devotion to the University.

Connee Sullivan, co-chair for the Sky Alland Scholarship Committee, said the most important quality that differentiates the scholarship from others offered at the University is enterprising spirit.

Among around 50 nominees, Chaillo was one who best encompassed the active, self-starting attitude encouraged by the Scholarship Committee, Sullivan said.

“What distinguished Faby was really her enthusiasm for a variety of different things at the University,” Sullivan said.

Chaillo is the newly elected president of the Commerce Council and has also served on the Hoo Crew executive committee for the past three years.

She also volunteers weekly with Special Olympics — something she has done since high school — and serves as a trustee or the Class of 2017.

Chaillo is a member of the Pi Phi sorority and participates in the University Salsa Club and Sustained Dialogue at the University.

Chaillo played club tennis during her first two years at the University, but stopped following a serious injury. During her tennis career, Chaillo was ranked No. 1 in the Mid-Atlantic region and No. 18 in the United States by the United States Tennis Association, according to a release from the Sky Alland Scholarship.

She is also currently working on developing a music application — a venture that illustrates the creative spirit the scholarship committee looks for, Sullivan said.

Fourth-year College student Tara Roy — a close friend of Chaillo’s — said she is constantly in awe of the Chaillo’s accomplishments.

“I think Faby truly exemplifies all of the qualities of the scholarship really, really well in a balanced way,” Roy said. “I think that she does so with the utmost humility, which is difficult to do for someone who is so, so accomplished.”

Chaillo rarely draws attention to her accomplishments, although she is constantly involved in several organizations, ventures or programs at once, Roy said.

“Despite being a good friend of hers and living with her, I learn about something new she’s accomplished every day, and it’s never from her — it’s from other people,” Roy said.

Chaillo said she is thankful and humbled to be receiving the scholarship.

“I would like everyone to know how thankful I am for this,” Chaillo said. “For me to have gotten to this point of involvement at the University — I couldn't have done it without all my friends, family and professors.”

After graduation, Chaillo said she intends to work in and explore marketing for several years.

Afterward, she said she may either attend law school or graduate school for public policy.