Pavilion XI extends hours

Part of efforts to make Newcomb a “destination”

<p>Located on the first floor of Newcomb in the center of Grounds, the Pav underwent renovations during the summer of 2015 and offers Subway, Chick-Fil-A and Five Guys Burgers and Fries.</p>

Located on the first floor of Newcomb in the center of Grounds, the Pav underwent renovations during the summer of 2015 and offers Subway, Chick-Fil-A and Five Guys Burgers and Fries.

Restaurants in Pavilion XI, the largest food court on Grounds, recently extended their evening hours.

Five Guys Burgers and Fries is now open until 9 p.m. instead of 8 p.m. on weekdays.

Chick-Fil-A’s 9 p.m. closing time is reserved for Fridays and Subway remains open until 1 a.m. Thursdays and Fridays. All three food joints remain closed over the weekend.

These new late hours are attractive for students who are on Grounds later in the day either to study or attend later classes or discussion sections.

Second-year College student Lillie Neal said the extended hours would have been helpful last year, when she had a discussion section that concluded at 7:50 p.m.

“I’m glad they [extended the hours] because I know for sure I’d come at 8 and I would just miss it,” Neal said.

Extended hours also aid those students who do not have a car and have limited opportunities to travel off Grounds for meals, third-year Engineering student Khashayar Chegeni said.

“Dining halls close really early which is a problem because we have a big campus and unless you have a car and access to outside food, or you have a house around the campus [where] you can actually cook yourself, you are out of options for food after 10 p.m. usually,” Chegeni said. “It’s a really good thing that they’re making [the Pav] open at least even one hour later.”

John Burnette, senior food service director for U.Va. Dining, said the motivation behind the extension of operating hours is connected to the renovations currently affecting the second floor of Clemons Library.

“Since the renovation to the second floor of Clemons will impact study space, we really want to highlight that the Pav is an alternative space to be,” Burnette said in an email statement. “We want to make sure that Newcomb Hall is a destination for students to have a common space for dining, studying, and social interaction.”

Burnette said the busiest time of day for the Pav is between classes Monday through Thursday and during the Meal Exchange time period. Meal Exchange is offered at Chick-Fil-A and Subway Monday through Thursday from 4 to 8 p.m. and Friday from 4 to 10 p.m.