Judge extends Virginia voter registration deadline

State deadline ends Friday evening at midnight

<p>Several student organizations have sponsored on-Grounds voter registration drives.&nbsp;</p>

Several student organizations have sponsored on-Grounds voter registration drives. 

After technical difficulties prevented some voters from registering on the state website prior to the Virginia voter registration deadline of Oct. 17, a federal judge ruled Thursday to push the registration deadline to Friday night at 11:59 p.m.

“There were many people who had difficulty accessing the online database option on Monday,” Jake Washburne, voter registrar and director of elections for Albemarle County, said. “There were lots and lots of people who clearly had made a good faith attempt within the deadline to register and because the online connection was just hit with so many hits, it just couldn't handle them all.”

In light of the technical difficulties, complaints were brought forth by many people all over the state.

A lawsuit was presented by the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law on behalf of Charlottesville residents Michael and Kathy Kern after they found themselves unable to register. The lawsuit asked that the registration deadline be extended by a minimum of three days.

The Kerns were joined by two other plaintiffs, the New Virginia Majority Education Fund and the Virginia Civic Engagement Table.

Washburne said the suit was unopposed by the Department of Elections.

Gov. Terry McAuliffe praised the extension Thursday.

“I am pleased that the court has agreed with the request to extend Virginia’s voter registration period after unprecedented web traffic prevented many people from completing their registrations online before the original deadline,” McAuliffe said in a statement. “The Commonwealth will fully comply with the court’s order and extend our registration process online, in-person and through the mail.”

McAuliffe said the extension presents an opportunity for citizens to make their voices heard.

Republican leaders in the House of Delegates, however, released a statement describing the incident as “unfortunate, predictable and avoidable.”

Leadership including Speaker William J. Howell and Majority Leader Kirk Cox, recommended a change in leadership at the Department of Elections and called for a legislative review of the incident.

“[It] is clear that local election registrars and the General Assembly have lost confidence in the Department of Elections and its ability to provide the necessary technical and support services,” they said in a statement.

McAuliffe’s office did not return a request for comment.

Virginians have until Friday at 11:59 p.m. to register online. Prospective voters can also register during regular office hours at their local registrar’s office or by mail postmarked on or before Friday.