Charlottesville shopping centers welcome new stores

L.L. Bean, Krispy Kreme among expected 2017 arrivals

<p>L.L. Bean is scheduled to open in Stonefield&nbsp;this summer.</p>

L.L. Bean is scheduled to open in Stonefield this summer.

New stores are coming to Barracks Road Shopping Center, the Shops at Stonefield and Fifth Street Station in the coming year.

Madewell, a denim and clothing retailer, will open a 1,575 square foot store adjacent to Barnes & Noble, and Chopt, a salad joint, will open where Ruby Tuesday once was, developers announced.

“Barracks Road Shopping Center is a landmark location, the dominant shopping center in the market which serves both the community and the University of Virginia,” Deidre Johnson, vice president of asset management for Federal Realty Investment Trust, said in an email statement.

Madewell will be joining other high-end retailers including Nike, Banana Republic and Anthropologie.

Tanya Wang, a third-year College student said she feels the shopping center is “a bit expensive.”

“We are very excited that Madewell and Chopt have selected Barracks Road as their entry to market location,” Johnson said. “Our winning combination of local, regional and national merchants creates the ideal destination for these two best-in-class food and fashion merchants.”

Madewell is set to open Tuesday with the grand opening event which will include a gift card giveaway, a gift with purchase and catering by Harvest Moon. Johnson said the businesses are expected to do “very well.”

5th Street Station will also be welcoming new shops this year including ABC Liquor, Great Clips, Lee Nails, Krispy Kreme, Basil and Verizon. A Wegmans grocery store opened at 5th Street Station last November.

The Shops at Stonefield is also seeing changes after being recently acquired by O’Connor Capital Partners, a New-York based real-estate company. The shopping center was once owned by EDENS, one of the nation’s leading retail real estate owners and developers, but was sold for $121.1 million to O’Connor Capital Partners.

L.L. Bean is scheduled to open in Stonefield this summer, according to a release. The shop will be joining the upscale slew of retailers including Brooks Brothers, lululemon, Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn and Vineyard Vines.

Second-year Architecture student Maddie McCutchon said she will be happy to have the chance to shop at L.L. Bean in Charlottesville.

“I’m not very familiar with Madewell, but I do like L.L. Bean though so that’s exciting,” McCutchon said.