Campus Cookies closes its doors

Red Eye Cookie Co. will fill store’s vacancy

<p>The Red Eye Cookie flagship location opened in 2014 in Richmond.</p>

The Red Eye Cookie flagship location opened in 2014 in Richmond.

Campus Cookies, located on 14th Street next to Arch’s Frozen Yogurt and Revolutionary Soup, closed its store on the Corner over winter break.

Scott Davidson founded Campus Cookies as a sophomore at James Madison University in 2007. It began in a pizza shop basement but later expanded to other college towns around Virginia including the Charlottesville location in 2012.

Fourth-year College student Jessica Fairly said Campus Cookies was a “popular” choice amongst her friends.

“Whenever I did get them they were always really good,” Fairly said. “I know people that are definitely bummed out about it.”

The vacancy left by Campus Cookies will be filled by Red Eye Cookie Co. The Red Eye Cookie flagship location opened in 2014 in Richmond.

The new store is expected to open in approximately a week, company president Brayden Pleasants said.

“[Davidson] made the decision to focus on his other [Harrisonburg and Blacksburg] markets, and thought that it was the best fit for the brand and the community,” Pleasants said. “[He] thought this would be the most seamless transition for students and customers. They had great cookies here before, and they can get great cookies here now.”

Davidson did not return a request for comment for this article.

Pleasants said Davidson played an active role in deciding what would replace the Charlottesville Campus Cookies. Since both companies had been in Richmond at some point, the two developed a relationship and decided Red Eye Cookie Co. may be a better “fit for the market.”

“We feel like we have something for everybody,” Pleasants said. “We had a great connection to the Richmond community and U.Va., and Charlottesville just made sense as a next step.”

Red Eye Cookie Co. will be the second late-night cookie option available on the Corner, along with Insomnia Cookies.