MUNA explores political, social, personal narratives

'About U' tells all of our stories

<p>The Los Angeles pop trio MUNA isn't afraid to explore authentic, controversial topics in their record debut.</p>

The Los Angeles pop trio MUNA isn't afraid to explore authentic, controversial topics in their record debut.

Deep within the political and social turmoil of the present day lies a hopeful band revealing the raw truth of the world. Los Angeles-based pop trio MUNA transports listeners to a slick yet brutally honest world via poignant, uninhibited narratives. Their debut record “About U” is an ode not only to the issues, but also to the solutions.

Leading up to the record, the band introduced listeners to their glossy, catchy pop sound with songs like “Loudspeaker” and “Winterbreak,” which both tell stories of confidence and heartbreak. In an interview with The Guardian, lead singer Katie Gavin says, “We like to show our teeth. We don’t sugar-coat things.”

MUNA contemplates notions of love, homosexuality and fear within the context of religion, politics and optimism. “So Special” kicks the album off with a bang as Gavin sings, “There’s a few bad things I’ve done / That nobody made me do.” The pain of love gone wrong is captured in “About U” through heartbreaking, authentic lyrics like “The house stands still where it was built / I know cause I drove by tonight / A candle in the bedroom where / I once performed a holy rite.”

Jam-packed with pop influence, “About U” excels with its polished, clean pop sound. In songs such as “Winterbreak,” Gavin’s voice is layered with synthesizers and auto-tuned harmonies resembling robotic machines. Electric guitars and catchy pop rhythms provide beats and pulses which bring listeners into a funk-infused world of underground clubs in the streets of LA.

An openly queer band, MUNA reflects their social beliefs and ideals throughout the record, especially in the anthem “I Know A Place.” This song touches on the band’s desire to spread awareness and acceptance, inviting queer listeners to a safe place of comfort with lines such as “I know a place we can go / Where everyone gonna lay down their weapon ... Don’t you be afraid of love and affection.” With these words, MUNA creates a groundbreaking layer of inclusivity.

"About U” viscerally exudes honesty through the techno-pop pulsations of its songs. The soft lyrics interestingly juxtapose with heavy pop beats, rhythms and instrumentation. In “About U” — while nothing really seems to be okay — anything is possible.