BOV prepares to elect new student member

Phoebe Willis to step down at end of academic year

<p>Interviews for the student member of the Board were held at Madison Hall.</p>

Interviews for the student member of the Board were held at Madison Hall.

The University’s Board of Visitors began interviewing candidates Wednesday for the next student member of the Board to replace current student member and Law and Darden graduate student Phoebe Willis, who has held the position for the past academic year.

The Board is expected to elect the incoming student member Thursday. This new student member’s term will begin June 1.

The student member of the Board is not a voting position, but the member serves as a source of information for the Board on issues that affect students and actively assesses and predicts the general student reaction to Board decisions.

Applications for the student member were due Feb. 8. In order to be eligible, undergraduates must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA, full-time student status and be entering their final year of undergraduate study at the University.

For graduate students to be eligible, they must also have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA and full-time student status. In addition, graduate students must either be in their second year of study or have previously attended the University as an undergraduate.

Willis said in an email to The Cavalier Daily that her main priority for the past year has been to increase channels of communication between the student body and the Board.

“I think I achieved this goal through a variety of methods including, hosting dorm talks, presenting at Student Council meetings, holding three forums with BOV members, administrators and students, sending out a monthly newsletter, creating a Facebook page and founding the Student Member Advisory Council,” Willis said.

Willis said the Council was composed of a group of students which met with her on Thursdays to discuss student issues, recent BOV decisions and outreach ideas.

“The group began meeting in November and was a new initiative of mine that I really hope the next student member can make even better,” Willis said. “The rationale behind the group was to try and involve more students in the activities of the student member.”

Outgoing Student Council President and fourth-year Batten student Emily Lodge said in an email statement that Willis maintained regular contact with Student Council to better incorporate student opinions, and Student Council plans on further developing this relationship with Willis’ successor.

“Student concerns have a lot of overlap between the two areas so there was a lot of room for collaboration,” Lodge said. “The future Student Council administration plans on continuing a strong relationship with the next BOV Student Member.”

As the Board prepares to select the next student member, Willis said she thinks the Board is looking for a proactive, outgoing individual who would be comfortable interacting with members of the University community.

“I believe the BOV looks for a student who is open-minded, articulate and respectful of others,” Willis said. “The student member position is one that interacts with people at all levels of the University, and the Board needs to feel confident that the student they select can fulfil that role.”

Although the newly-selected student member will start their term this summer, Willis plans to facilitate a smooth transition by imparting experienced advice.

“I am currently working on a handbook that I plan to give to the next student member with the details and benchmarks of my efforts this past year,” Willis said. “I would advise the new student member to get engaged with all stakeholders. Work collaboratively, not combatively, with all people because at the end of the day, everyone just wants to make U.Va. better.”