Food for your next television binge

Definitive ranking of TV cooking shows

<p>"Chopped" ranks among the best cooking shows of the century.</p>

"Chopped" ranks among the best cooking shows of the century.

The 21st century is the golden age of television. The medium has been pushed to new heights in the last decade and a half, revolutionized by high-art programming from “The Sopranos” to “Breaking Bad.” Often overlooked, however, are the dramatic strides made in what was once considered a less dramatic arena — the kitchen. People’s need for food to fill their bellies is a carnal one, and their desire to be inspired, kept on edge and humored by culinary TV is a beautiful product of the information age. Here is a definitive list of the best cooking shows of the 21st century.

10. “Man v. Food”

Meaty everyman Adam Richman travels America to complete menu challenges ranging from bouts of endurance with spicy burritos to gluttony fights with pizza pies the size of small children. Often in these challenges, “food wins,” and Richman vomits out his pride as well as his meal. Nonetheless, the show is raucous fun, leaving audiences cheering for the plight of the human machine against his fuel.

9. “Unwrapped”

This program shows — in clean, satisfying cinematography — every step in the production process of popular candies and snacks. It’s essentially the “How It’s Made” of confection — from huge vats of sugary goop in a hue not naturally-occurring come oodles of Jolly Ranchers or Twinkies. A revival series, “Unwrapped 2.0,” even followed in 2015.

8. “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives”

It’s no secret that Guy Fieri is actually one of the most powerful men on the planet. His flagship hit takes the viewer on a radical yet wholesome highway ride in and out of homey eateries across the country. Fieri’s frosted tips seem to wiggle with joy at each new taco, chili dog or bacon double cheeseburger, and there’s not much quite like watching his satisfaction after each bite.

7. “Guy’s Grocery Games”

Another iteration of Fieri’s charismatic genius is this competitive game show taking place in none other than Flavortown Market. Contestants are given certain challenges, such as only utilizing frozen foods in their dishes and gathering ingredients from only one aisle of the store.

They battle over three rounds for Fieri’s approval, and — less importantly — $20,000.

6. “Chef’s Table”

This Netflix exclusive is an anthology of episodes featuring the most brilliant chefs on the planet. The food featured is often luxuriously experimental in nature — one chef forages for all of his ingredients in the tundra before crafting a plate, and another practices “molecular gastronomy,” a discipline which, according to Molecular Recipes, “blends physics and chemistry to transform the tastes and textures of food.”

5. “Good Eats”

Though it ceased running in 2012, this show may have been the most informative Food Network program of all time. Host Alton Brown devotes entire episodes to the history, science and practice behind common foodstuffs such as turkey or omelettes, and prepares a classical dish based on each topic. “Good Eats” tickles the brain as well as the appetite.

4. “Cutthroat Kitchen”

Also hosted by the great Alton Brown is “Cutthroat Kitchen,” somewhat of a dark horse on this list because of its relative novelty. Nonetheless it is one of the most inventive cooking game shows on television. What sets it apart is the concept of giving each of four contestants $25,000 at the beginning of the game as opposed to the end. As the episode progresses, chefs can spend as little or as much as they like to hinder their opponents or aid themselves. It becomes apparent very quickly that some people are in it for the money, and some people are in it for an unmitigated love of food.

3. “MasterChef / MasterChef Jr.”

“MasterChef” is the crown jewel of famed chef Gordon Ramsay’s entertainment empire. This high-stakes strategic cooking battle has been airing for seven seasons, with a new one starting May 31. It’s worth noting “MasterChef Jr.” — the pint-sized counterpart to “MasterChef” — is not only a surprising showcase of young chefs but a source of great humor, as Ramsay drills into the young, pure souls of the stressed children.

2. “Chopped”

Few television programs rival the excitement of “Chopped.” The foreboding chopping block awaits the contestants after each round, which their appetizers, main courses and desserts, are each judged on taste, creativity and presentation. “Chopped” wouldn’t be so high on the list if it weren’t for the chops of talented host Ted Allen and the warmth of recurring judges like Alex Guarnaschelli, Aarón Sánchez and Scott Conant.

1. “Iron Chef America”

This is undoubtedly the best cooking show ever. No other program is set on so grand a scale, with some of the best chefs in the country facing off in a grand hour-long cooking marathon. The program is hosted in the spectacular Kitchen Stadium, and requires not only the hosting of Alton Brown and the Chairman, but floor reporters to get up-close action shots of sweaty men and women flipping and chopping every food imaginable. First airing in 2005, “Iron Chef America” is the prototypical cooking game show — the gold standard for every show that has come after.