Former U.Va. student charged in February rape

Stephen Baril will be held on house arrest until August court date

<p>Baril is the grandson of former Virginia governor John N. Dalton.&nbsp;</p>

Baril is the grandson of former Virginia governor John N. Dalton. 

Stephen Dalton Baril, 20, a former University student and Richmond native, is currently awaiting trial for the Feb. 1 sexual assault of another University student. Baril has been charged with both sodomy by force, threat or intimidation and rape by force, threat or intimidation.

Baril turned himself in to the Albemarle County Regional Jail early Wednesday morning and had his initial bond hearing later that day, which he appeared at via teleconference from the jail.

Bail was set at $10,000 and Baril was released into the custody of his parents on the condition he not leave his Richmond home except to work or meet with his counsel or community corrections. He may not leave the state for any reason.

Baril also must not possess or consume alcohol or any drug not prescribed to him by a physician, as well as avoid contact with several individuals listed in court documents, including but not limited to the alleged victim. Baril’s court date is set for Aug. 10 at the Charlottesville General District Court.

City prosecutor Areshini Pather said on the night of the alleged rape, Baril saw the victim, identified only by her initials, at Trinity Irish Pub. Baril, although underage, then proceeded to buy the alleged victim, whom he knew “socially,” a tequila shot before attempting to kiss her, which she refused by saying “not in public.”

Baril and the alleged victim then proceeded to his apartment, where the alleged victim found Baril had stripped himself down to his underwear while she was using the bathroom. Although the alleged victim repeatedly told Baril she did not intend to stay and asked him to “please not make this bad,” Pather said Baril then proceeded to forcefully push the alleged victim onto his bed and sexually assault her, leaving bites or bruises on her lips, breasts, chin and arm.

Baril then reportedly restrained the alleged victim and prevented her from getting up and leaving his bed, although he later acceded when she continued to insist upon leaving.

According to Pather, Baril later sent a text message to the alleged victim, saying, “I’m sorry if I got overly excited.”

Pather also said a nurse who later treated the alleged victim at a hospital shortly following the assault found that the alleged victim had sustained injury to her vaginal area.

Baril was a student at the University until April, at which point his father said it became “very difficult under the circumstances for him to continue,” due to the University’s investigation of the incident.

Baril’s late grandfather is a former governor of Virginia, John N. Dalton, who served from 1978 to 1982.

Neither the University nor Trinity Irish Pub could be reached for a comment on the story. Baril’s attorney, Rhonda Quagliana, did not respond to a request for comment.