​Dorm and Dining terms to know

Some helpful terms to know going into your first year

<p>The Observatory Hill Dining Hall is also home to Crossroads, a food court and convenience store that accepts Plus Dollars and meal swipes.</p>

The Observatory Hill Dining Hall is also home to Crossroads, a food court and convenience store that accepts Plus Dollars and meal swipes.

New Dorms

Also called Alderman Road Hall-Style Houses, they are home to about 1600 students in hallway-style dorms. Each floor has two shared bathrooms, two RAs and a shared common room.

Old Dorms

Also called McCormick Road Hall-Style Houses, old dorms house about 900 students in mostly double rooms, with some singles, in hallway-style dorms. Each hall shares a common bathroom, and two RAs live on each floor. The Kent-Dabney and Bonnycastle dorms will be closed for renovations during the 2017-2018 school year.

CDF

The Alderman Road Suite-Style Houses comprise “CDF.” About 320 students live in the three suite-style houses in this area — called Courtenay, Dunglison, and Fitzhugh. Between 10 to 12 students live in each suite, with five double or triple bedrooms. Each suite also has a furnished living area and a bathroom. Every two suites have their own RA.

Gooch/Dillard

Gooch/Dillard houses about 610 students in suite-style dorms. Each suite has six to 10 students, with three to five bedrooms, its own living area and bathroom. Every three to five suites have their own RA.

Residential College

Residential colleges are living-learning communities meant to mimic the ideals of Jefferson’s Academical Village. There are three residential colleges in which students can apply to live — Brown, Hereford and the International Residential College. After first year, students can apply to live in language houses, which offer immersive environments to practice foreign languages.

RA

Resident Advisors are older students who live in the dorms with first-years. They are meant to assist their residents in lots of different ways and to “support the physical well-being of students and their academic, social, and emotional development.” Each hall has an RA in new and old dorms, while there is one RA for every two suites in CDF. Gooch/Dillard has one RA for every three to five suites.

SR

Senior Residents oversee an entire building or residence area. Each association has one SR that assists the RAs and lives in an apartment in the association.

O-Hill

One of three dining halls on Grounds, Observatory Hill is located near New Dorms and also houses Crossroads. During the academic year, O-Hill is open from 7:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. on weekdays and 8:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. on weekends. All of the dining halls allow you to swipe in using one meal swipe and eat as much food as you would like.

Fresh Food Company

One of three dining halls on Grounds, the Fresh Food Company is located in Newcomb Hall. Located near many of the academic buildings, it is open 7:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, with shortened hours on the weekends during the academic year.

Runk

Runk is a dining hall located near the Gooch/Dillard dorms and Hereford College. It is being newly renovated for the fall semester to feature a 58-seat lounge area, a new food station designed to serve 16 different kinds of international dishes for each week of the fall semester and a wood stone pizza oven. During the academic year, Runk is open 7:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, with shortened hours on the weekends.

Crossroads

Crossroads, located on the first floor of O-Hill, is a food court and convenience store where students can buy pizza, burritos and prepared foods. Crossroads is open until 2:00 a.m. on the weekends and 1:00 a.m. on weeknights during the academic year. Students can use meal exchange, Plus Dollars, Cavalier Advantage or cash to buy food.

Pavilion XI

Pavilion XI, called the Pav, is located in Newcomb Hall and provides food options outside of the dining halls. The Pav features a Chick-fil-a, Five Guys and Subway. Students can use Plus Dollars, Cavalier Advantage, or cash to buy food. Meal exchange is also offered at certain hours.

Plus Dollars

Plus Dollars are money that can only be used to pay for food on Grounds. Most meal plans come with Plus Dollars, and they are accepted at all dining locations on Grounds. Your Plus Dollars balance rolls over from the fall semester into the spring, but does not carry over across the summer.

Meal Exchange

Certain dining facilities besides the dining halls offer a meal exchange menu at certain times that allows students to use a meal swipe to pay for a meal from a limited menu. This allows students to use their meal swipes to enjoy food at locations other than the dining halls. Not all locations offer meal exchange, but both Crossroads and Chick-fil-a in the Pav offer meal exchange, for example. Other popular locations for meal exchange include West Range Cafe and the Fine Arts Cafe. U.Va. Dining also sometimes offers pop-up meal exchanges — in the past, In the Nood has offered meal exchange for sushi and dumplings.

Cavalier Advantage

Cavalier Advantage is an account that you can put money into to purchase certain things on Grounds. It can be used for food, but can also be used at the bookstore, laundry facilities, the Central Grounds Parking Garage and other locations on Grounds.