Athletics Director Craig Littlepage announces retirement

<p>Craig Littlepage announced his retirement Tuesday after 16 years as director of athletics.&nbsp;</p>

Craig Littlepage announced his retirement Tuesday after 16 years as director of athletics. 

University Athletics Director Craig Littlepage announced Tuesday that he will retire from his current role after 16 years — dating back to 2001.

He will remain the director of athletics until a successor is hired. In the meantime, he will begin to transition into a role in the University President’s Office.

Littlepage’s time as Virginia’s director of athletics has coincided with a wildly successful era for Virginia athletics. Virginia has won 13 NCAA Championships and 76 ACC Championships since 2002. In addition, Littlepage’s tenure included the building of John Paul Jones Arena, where the men’s and women’s basketball teams currently play.

Virginia men’s basketball has experienced a golden period in program history the last several years, with the team consistently being ranked in the top-25 and gaining national prominence as a title contender every year.

Academically, Virginia student-athletes have been very successful under Littlepage. The 2017 spring semester GPA for student-athletes was 3.1, the highest since 2003.

University President Teresa Sullivan also had high praise for Littlepage.

“Craig Littlepage has made a significant impact during his time at the University of Virginia,” Sullivan said according to Virginia Sports. “The athletics program is now recognized among the nation’s elite ... I would like to thank Craig and his family for their dedication to the University and our community and I look forward to continuing to work with him in his new role.” 

Virginia will now begin the process of looking for Littlepage’s successor.