Football holds on against North Carolina in 20-14 win

<p>Junior tailback Jordan<em> </em>Ellis rushed for a career high 136 yards in the victory at North Carolina.</p>

Junior tailback Jordan Ellis rushed for a career high 136 yards in the victory at North Carolina.

The Virginia football team headed to Chapel Hill, N.C. this weekend to take on North Carolina for its second ACC game of the season. The Cavaliers (5-1, 2-0 ACC) came back to Charlottesville with a win, narrowly defeating the Tar Heels (1-6, 0-4 ACC) 20-14 in the 122nd meeting of the South’s Oldest Rivalry. 

This marks the first time since 2009 that Virginia has beaten North Carolina, and the team has now put together its best start to a season in a decade. The Cavaliers started off the 2007 season with a 7-1 record. 

Virginia’s offense maintained a strong balance, playing well through both the air and on the ground. Virginia senior quarterback Kurt Benkert had a strong day, throwing for 249 passing yards and two touchdowns, while Virginia junior tailback Jordan Ellis added 136 rushing yards — his first-career 100-yard rushing game. Virginia junior halfback Olamide Zaccheaus had another strong performance, including a big 81-yard touchdown reception in the second half. 

The Cavalier defense was stellar as well, recording three interceptions that provided momentum-shifting stops to three North Carolina offensive drives. Former Virginia walk-on redshirt freshman free safety Brenton Nelson continued his fantastic season, collecting his third interception of the season — Nelson’s three interceptions lead the team. 

The Cavaliers have now won four games in a row and will return home this weekend to take on Boston College. The Cavaliers will look to come away with a win and secure their first bowl berth since 2011. The game is scheduled to begin at 12:30 p.m. at Scott Stadium in Charlottesville.