Women’s soccer beats Boston College, 2-1

<p>Junior midfielder Montana Sutton scored the game-winning goal in Virginia's win over Boston College.&nbsp;</p>

Junior midfielder Montana Sutton scored the game-winning goal in Virginia's win over Boston College. 

The Virginia women’s soccer team picked up a 2-1 win over Boston College Sunday afternoon. 

Junior midfielder Montana Sutton scored the game-winning goal in the come-from-behind victory for No. 12 Virginia (10-3-4, 5-1-3 ACC).

The Cavaliers have now beaten Boston College (9-8-1, 3-5-1 ACC) six times in a row.

Although Virginia has recently dominated the Eagles, defeating Boston College this weekend was not an easy task. 

After a scoreless first half, the Eagles were first to get on the scoreboard in the second half when sophomore forward Jenna Bike found the back of the net in the 51st minute. 

Virginia responded by scoring just a few minutes later to even things out. Freshman forward Taryn Torres scored her sixth goal of the season with a strike from 18 yards out. Virginia senior defender Megan Reid had the assist on the game-tying goal.

The final 18 minutes of play would prove to be a challenge for the Cavaliers when sophomore midfielder Zoe Morse was given a red card, forcing Virginia to play a man down for the rest of the match. 

However, even with just 10 players, Virginia was able to break the tie when junior midfielder Betsy Brandon delivered a ball to Sutton, who buried the shot and picked up her third goal of the season. 

Virginia freshman goalkeeper Laurel Ivory also posted a career-high four saves in the match. 

The Cavaliers now return to Charlottesville to host No. 4 Duke Thursday night for their last regular season game. The Blue Devils (16-1-0, 9-0-0 ACC) have only lost one match this season, which was back in August to now No. 5 North Carolina — who also beat the Cavaliers. When the two teams faced off last year, Duke came away with a 1-0 victory. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. and will be the last match for the Cavaliers before the ACC tournament begins.