Five Guys employee charged with brandishing firearm at Newcomb Hall

UPD responded to the incident Tuesday evening

<p>&nbsp;21-year-old Aidan Fitzpatrick was arrested Tuesday evening.&nbsp;</p>

21-year-old Aidan Fitzpatrick was arrested Tuesday evening. 

The University Police Department arrested Aidan Fitzpatrick — a 21 year-old and now a former Five Guys employee in the Pavilion XI dining area — Tuesday evening after authorities say he displayed a weapon to both a Five Guys manager and employee. 

Police responded to a call around 6 p.m. Tuesday on the first floor of Newcomb Hall. Although Fitzpatrick had left Newcomb Hall before the police were called, he was arrested shortly afterwards for brandishing a firearm. 

A UPD release said Fitzpatrick originally showed his weapon to a member of the Five Guys managerial staff in a back office while having a verbal altercation, then displayed it to another Five Guys employee.

According to Virginia Code section 18.2-282, it is illegal to display a weapon “in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured.”

UPD said there is currently a no trespassing order against Fitzpatrick and the situation was “an isolated and targeted incident.”

Fitzpatrick appeared in the Albemarle General District Court Wednesday morning and has been released. He is due back in court Dec. 21.