U.Va. removes Lambeth Field from list of potential softball stadium locations

University Hall parking lot, the Park and Soccer practice field on the short list for consideration

<p>Lambeth Field will no longer be considered as a site for the construction of a new softball stadium.</p>

Lambeth Field will no longer be considered as a site for the construction of a new softball stadium.

After much controversy, the University announced at a Board of Visitors meeting Wednesday that it is no longer proposing to construct a softball stadium at Lambeth Field. Instead, U.Va. will continue to investigate three alternative locations — the University Hall parking lot, a soccer practice field near Klöckner Stadium and the Park, located on North Grounds.

“We’d like to suggest to the committee that the Lambeth Field site be removed from consideration,” said Colette Sheehy, the University’s senior vice president for operations. “Instead, we’d like to take the next few weeks leading up to the March Building and Grounds Committee to consider some of the other sites.”

Members of the Board’s Buildings and Grounds Committee agreed with Sheehy’s recommendation to take Lambeth Field off the list of potential locations. 

In December, the BOV decided to defer a vote on the site of the proposed stadium site, following criticism from Lambeth Field Apartments residents and neighbors who argued they were left out of the decision process. At that meeting, the Board hired Charlottesville-based VMDO architects to work on the project. 

Residents and neighbors expressed concerns over noise and light disturbances and parking problems. In the months following, the University hosted several community listening sessions for Lambeth residents and community members to voice their concerns.

The decision is a win for students and community members who have been protesting the possible Lambeth location. Efforts to prevent stadium construction at Lambeth have included the Save Lambeth Field campaign and a Student Council resolution in support of preserving the field.

The Board will continue to discuss the matter at its next round of meetings, which start Feb. 28.

Jake Gold contributed reporting.