No. 10 men’s soccer defeats Wright State 2-1

Dike scores first collegiate goal

Virginia freshman forward Daryl Dike scored his first collegiate goal against Wright State Tuesday night.

The No. 10 Virginia men’s soccer team (6-0-2) beat No. 22 Wright State (8-1-1) 2-1 at home Tuesday night. Both teams entered the match ranked in the Top 25 and unbeaten all season.

Wright State scored first, as junior midfielder Deri Corfe beat Virginia sophomore goalkeeper Colin Shutler with a chip in the 15th minute.

In the 23rd minute, Virginia sophomore forward Irakoze Donasiyano came close to equalizing the match but his shot hit the crossbar.

With five minutes to go in the half, the Cavaliers finally struck back. Sophomore midfielder Joe Bell delivered a free kick into the box, which was headed home by freshman forward Cabrel Happi Kamseu.

Happi Kamseu has now scored four goals in his last five matches, leading the team. Bell’s assist was his fourth of the season, also first on the Cavaliers.

Virginia and Wright State entered the half tied 1-1, with the Cavaliers leading Wright State in shots 8-5.

In the 58th minute, Virginia freshman forward Daryl Dike received a through ball in the box from fellow freshman forward Daniel Steedman. Dike’s first attempt was blocked by a Wright State defender, but he slotted the rebound past junior goalkeeper Joel Sundell to take the lead.

The goal was the first of Dike’s collegiate career.

With less than five minutes to go, Wright State nearly tied the game at 2-2, but Shutler made a one-handed fingertip save on a Wright State shot from outside of the box. Shutler finished with two saves, as the Cavaliers remained undefeated.

Virginia next plays at home on Friday against Duke. The match will kick off at 7 p.m. at Klöckner Stadium.