No. 6 men’s soccer to play No. 16 Notre Dame in final home game of the season

Cavaliers to close out home schedule

<p>Sophomore wingback Irakoze Donasiyano scored his first collegiate goal Saturday against Wake Forest.</p>

Sophomore wingback Irakoze Donasiyano scored his first collegiate goal Saturday against Wake Forest.

The No. 6 Virginia men’s soccer team will host No. 16 Notre Dame Tuesday night in their final home game of the season.

The match was originally scheduled for Sept. 14, but was canceled due to Hurricane Florence.

The Cavaliers (9-2-2, 3-2-1 ACC)  lost Saturday afternoon 3-2 at home against Wake Forest. Freshman forward Daniel Steedman briefly gave Virginia the lead in the 73rd minute on a bicycle kick goal, before the Demon Deacons scored 3:06 later — and then again 1:38 after — that to take the lead for good. 

Sophomore wingback Irakoze Donasiyano scored his first career collegiate goal for Virginia against Wake Forest, making him the Cavaliers’ tenth goal-scorer this season.

The Cavaliers’ last three matches of the season are all against teams in the top five in RPI, a metric that ranks teams by wins and losses relative to their strength of schedule — No. 1 Wake Forest, No. 5 Notre Dame (8-5-1, 3-3 ACC) in fifth and No. 4 North Carolina. Virginia is currently third in RPI.

Virginia is undefeated (2-0-1) in their last three matches against Notre Dame. If the Cavaliers beat the Fighting Irish Tuesday or Syracuse loses or draws at Clemson, Virginia seals a top-8 seed and a first-round home game in the ACC Tournament.

Virginia’s potential final match at Klöckner Stadium this season begins at 7 p.m. Tuesday.