Women’s basketball beats Old Dominion 73-67

Cavaliers earn first win under Thompson

<p>Junior small forward Jocelyn Willoughby led Virginia in scoring with 14 points.</p>

Junior small forward Jocelyn Willoughby led Virginia in scoring with 14 points.

The Virginia women’s basketball team defeated Old Dominion 73-67 on the road Sunday afternoon.

The win was the first for the Cavaliers (1-2) under new Coach Tina Thompson.

Junior small forward Jocelyn Willoughby led Virginia in scoring with 14 points, while junior guard Dominique Toussaint and senior forward Moné Jones each added 11, a career-high for Jones. Every Virginia player scored at least two points and had at least one rebound against the Monarchs (3-1) .

Virginia led 35-31 at the half. Sophomore guard Brianna Tinsley made her first start of the season in place of sophomore guard Khyasia Caldwell, who had started the first two games of the season at point guard. Tinsley scored seven points with four assists against Old Dominion, while Caldwell scored five points.

In the second quarter, junior forward Shakyna Payne scored six points and grabbed four rebounds, both career-highs for her. She also matched her career high with two blocked shots, set Thursday night against Kentucky.

Virginia went on a 12-1 run in the third quarter to increase their lead slightly to 56-50. Old Dominion scored first in the fourth quarter to cut their deficit to four points, but then both teams proceeded to miss their next four field goals.

With 2:52 to go in the game, Virginia only led by three points, 62-59, but the Cavaliers then scored on their next four possessions, with two field goals by Jones and one each from Toussaint and junior center Felicia Aiyeotan, to seal the game.

The Cavaliers will return home to play Tuesday morning at 11 a.m. at John Paul Jones Arena against North Carolina A&T.