Women’s basketball loses both games of Cavalier Classic Tournament

Cavaliers fall to Central Michigan and Saint Louis

<p>Freshman guard Erica Martinsen led Virginia in scoring with 15 points on Sunday.</p>

Freshman guard Erica Martinsen led Virginia in scoring with 15 points on Sunday.

The Virginia women’s basketball team lost to both Central Michigan and Saint Louis at home as part of the Cavalier Classic Tournament over the weekend.

Against Central Michigan (5-1) Saturday afternoon, the Cavaliers (2-4) trailed 36-21 at halftime as the Chippewas went on a 12-0 run in the first quarter. However, Virginia scored 27 points in the fourth quarter to close the gap to a final score of 74-61. 

Junior center Felicia Aiyeotan missed both games for Virginia with a knee injury. Without Aiyeotan, the Cavaliers were outrebounded for the first time all season by Central Michigan, 38-32. Aiyeotan remains day-to-day.

Junior forward Shakyna Payne started the Central Michigan game in place of Aiyeotan, grabbing a career-high seven rebounds. Senior forward Moné Jones also registered a career high in rebounds with 10.

The Cavaliers were led in scoring by sophomore guard Brianna Tinsley, who scored a career-high 16 points, 12 of which came from three-point range. Central Michigan senior guard Presley Hudson led all scorers with 22 points. 

Junior guard Dominique Toussaint and junior forward Jocelyn Willoughby each chipped in 11 points for Virginia.

Sunday afternoon, Virginia fell by a two-point margin, 67-65 to Saint Louis (2-4). The Cavaliers trailed by 11 points at halftime, 40-29, but recovered to take a late 65-63 lead before the Billikens scored the last 4 points of the game. Saint Louis senior guard Jordyn Frantz led all scorers with 18 points.

Freshman guard Erica Martinsen led Virginia in scoring with 15 points, while junior forward Lisa Jablonowski, who started in place of Aiyeotan, scored 13. Willoughby and Toussaint also each reached double figures in scoring for the Cavaliers.

Willoughby and Toussaint also each registered double-doubles, as Willoughby pulled down a team-high 13 rebounds to complement her 11 points, while Toussaint dished out 10 assists along with 10 points.

The Cavaliers next play Wednesday night at 7 p.m. at Michigan State.