No. 12 men’s, No. 12 women’s squash go back above .500 after a successful weekend in New York

Both teams go 3-1, defeating Cornell, Fordham and NYU while falling to Columbia

<p>Freshman Emma Jinks had a strong performance for the Cavaliers against No. 8 Cornell on Saturday.</p>

Freshman Emma Jinks had a strong performance for the Cavaliers against No. 8 Cornell on Saturday.

This past weekend, the No.12 Virginia men’s squash (5-4) and No. 12 women’s squash (6-5) teams traveled up to New York City for a three-day tournament against Cornell, Fordham, NYU and Columbia.

The men’s team, having come off two losses to Drexel and Penn two weeks prior, got back on the right track with a 9-0 win against No. 32 Fordham (10-4) on Friday, after strong showings across the board. 

However, the following day, the Cavaliers found themselves pitted against undefeated No. 3 Columbia (3-0). They lost 9-0, despite fighting efforts from the likes of senior Killian Bubrosky and sophomore William Braff. Virginia bounced back in their next match against No. 16 Cornell (1-3), with a hard fought 5-4 win. Although the top three Virginia men were defeated, the Cavaliers ranked No. 4 through No. 8 on the team each rattled off wins, with dominating performances from senior Grayson Bubrosky and sophomore Andrew Braff. 

The Virginia men then finished off their New York tour with a convincing 9-0 sweep of New York University. 

The Virginia women had a similarly fruitful weekend, serving as a motivator after three straight losses to Drexel, Stanford and Penn two weeks prior. The Cavaliers defeated No. 35 Fordham (2-6) in an emphatic 9-0 victory, with straight set victories for all nine Virginia starters.

The No. 7 Columbia women (3-0), however proved to be a difficult matchup for Virginia, as the Virginia women fell 6-3, despite strong performances by the likes of senior Madeleine Mayhew and junior Elle Carroll. Like the men’s team, the Virginia women didn’t let the loss to Columbia dampen their spirit, as they defeated No. 8 Cornell (1-2) 6-3 following commanding performances by freshmen Emma Jinks and Mandy Haywood. 

The Virginia women then finished their weekend against NYU, matching the men with another 8-0 sweep. 

Both the men’s and women’s team restart play Jan. 19 , and head up north to Annapolis, Md. to play neutral-site matches against No. 21/No. 13 Williams College.