Wrestling defeats Central Michigan but falls to Princeton at home

Cavaliers see mixed results over the weekend

<p>Junior Sam Krivus allowed had a big win for Virginia against Central Michigan on Friday.</p>

Junior Sam Krivus allowed had a big win for Virginia against Central Michigan on Friday.

The Virginia wrestling team (4-3) returned to Memorial Gym after last weekend’s Cliff Keen Invitational in Las Vegas to face Central Michigan (0-2) Friday.

The Cavaliers fell behind early when a Virginia forfeiture at 125 pounds gifted Central Michigan a 6-0 lead right out of the gate. However, consecutive wins for redshirt freshman Brian Courtney and nationally-ranked junior Sam Krivus allowed Virginia to pull even.

Virginia eventually pulled away thanks to decisions from senior Will Schany and sophomore Jay Aiello, ranked No. 11 nationally. No. 17 redshirt freshman Cam Coy and freshman Robby Patrick added bonus-point wins. Despite giving up the early lead, the Cavaliers demonstrated their talent in number of weight classes, at one point stringing together five straight decisions to help secure the 22-18 victory.

Virginia returned to action the following afternoon, hosting a Princeton team (2-3) that had a trio of wrestlers ranked in the top 15 nationally. In contrast to the Friday night match, the Cavaliers were the ones that jumped out to an early lead Saturday as two opening decisions from sophomore Jake Keating and Coy gave the Cavaliers a 6-0 lead. 

However, the Tigers responded with back-to-back decisions at 174 pounds and 184 pounds to pull even. Then, Princeton’s fifth-ranked sophomore Patrick Brucki pinned Aiello to give the Tigers their first lead of the match. They never looked back.

While the Cavaliers pulled within three points twice, Princeton’s second pin of the day, at 141 pounds, put the dual out of reach. The Tigers finished the day with a major decision courtesy of the country’s top-ranked wrestler at 149 pounds, junior Matthew Kolodzik, capping off an impressive 28-15 win for Princeton. 

Virginia will next travel to Kansas City, Mo. for a neutral-site match against No. 6 Missouri Dec. 20.